Admissions Information | Highcliffe School

Admissions Information

We hope you share our enthusiasm for the special place which is Highcliffe School and welcome an application on behalf of your son or daughter.

Read the full Admissions Policy for 2021/2022 here

Read the full Admissions Policy for 2022/2023 here

Year 7 September New Intake Admissions

The co-ordinated admission scheme requires parents to apply for a place (New Intake only) at Highcliffe School using the common application form available from your Local Authority. Any applications received after 31st March 2021 will be considered as an In- Year application and administered by the school. 

Admission Enquiries, Years 7 – 11 (Casual/In Year Admissions) 

Please contact directly the Admissions Officer at Highcliffe School should you be considering applying for a place at Highcliffe School. Telephone: 01425 273381 email: Sixth Form Admission Application forms and prospectus are available from the Sixth Form Office or online via the school’s website Telephone: 01425 282322 email:


Students will be admitted at age 11, and In Year, without reference to ability or aptitude. The normal age of transfer into Highcliffe School in September 2021 is 11, where the child reaches that age between 1st September 2020 and 31st August 2021. Children who live in the areas traditionally served by Highcliffe St Mark Primary and Mudeford Junior Schools in Dorset; Tiptoe, Sway St Luke’s, Brockenhurst, Bransgore and Hordle Primary Schools in Hampshire, may transfer at the age of 11 to Highcliffe School if places are available. 

Closing date for receipt of completed forms for normal year of entry will be in accordance with the timetable set down in the respective local authority’s coordinated scheme. 

The Academy Trust has agreed that the school’s admission number for September 2021 is 264. Should the school be oversubscribed (i.e. receive more applications than places available), places will be allocated in accordance with criteria set out below (see Agreed Admission Criteria). The Academy Trust will only agree to exceed the admission number where exceptional circumstances apply or as part of the LA’s In Year Fair Access protocol. 

In the normal year of entry, parents will be informed about the allocation of a place by letter, sent by first class post on 1st March 2021, or the nearest working day after, or alternatively if an online application was placed, parental check can be performed online with the Local Authority. 

If you wish your child to attend Highcliffe School but there are no places available, you may have your child’s name placed on a waiting list. The waiting list operates in accordance with the published admission criteria.

If your child is refused a place at the school you have the right to appeal to the Admissions Appeal Panel. Please write to the Clerk of the Admission Appeal Committee if you wish to do this and the school must then send you the appropriate information.


All Dorset residents are responsible for their own transport arrangements, including costs. 

For students who live in Hampshire, your child qualifies for free transport if they attend the nearest catchment school or one that is nearer to your home, and the distance (measured by the nearest available walking route) is more than three miles (These are the statutory walking distances prescribed by legislation. However, different walking distances apply in respect of children who are entitled to free school meals or whose parents receive the maximum level of working tax credit. For full policy details see 

Where parents name the designated catchment school as one of their 3 preferences and a place is not available, assistance may be offered to the next closest school, where the walking distance criteria are met according to year group above.

We aim to provide subsidised travel to those affected by the removal of the discretionary travel for studentsby HCC.

If you live outside the area traditionally served by the school then you will be responsible for your own transport arrangements for getting your child to school, including costs.


In the event of oversubscription, for any year group the following criteria will be applied, in the order set out below, to decide which children to admit.


1. Children who are in the care of a local authority, or a child who was previously in the care of a local authority, but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order. (see footnote iii) 

2. Children who live within the school’s defined catchment area and have a sibling actually on roll of the school at the time of admission. (see footnote iv) 

3. Children of members of staff, who have worked at Highcliffe School for a minimum of two years, or have been recruited/retained to fulfil a skill shortage. (see footnote v) 

4. Children who live within the school’s defined catchment area. 

5. Children who have a sibling actually on roll of the school at the time of admission but who live outside the school’s defined catchment area (see footnote iv) 

6. Children who attend one of the following schools: Bransgore Primary School; Brockenhurst Primary School; Highcliffe St Mark Primary School; Hordle Primary School; Mudeford Junior School; Sway St Luke’s Primary School; Tiptoe Primary School, who live outside the school’s defined catchment area. 

7. All other children.

Explanatory Notes

i. Parents choosing Highcliffe School have made their application on the understanding that Highcliffe is an 11-18 school 

ii. The admission of children with an Education, Health and Care Plan is covered by Sections 324 to 328 of, and schedule 27 to, the Education Act 1996. Where Highcliffe School has been named in the child’s Education, Health and Care Plan this will count towards the school’s admission limit. Highcliffe School has an expectation to be consulted prior to this being determined. Guidance on the admission of these students is given in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice. 

iii. The term ‘looked after’ children, relates to children who have a care order (full or interim) or who are accommodated under Section 22 of the Children Act 1989. For those children who were previously looked after but became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order – a copy of the adoption order, residence order or special guardianship order and a letter from the Local Authority that last looked after the child will be required. 

iv. A sibling means children living as brothers and sisters, including half-siblings, stepsiblings, adoptive siblings and other children, such as foster children, in the same family unit and relates to all year groups provided by the school. 

v. In line with the Schools Admissions Code, ‘Children of teachers, teaching support staff and administrative support staff with a minimum of two years’ continuous service at the school or who have been recruited/retained to fulfil a skill shortage at the date of application (in year) or relevant closing date under the LA coordinated scheme (normal year of entry), and intend still to be employed at the time of the child’s admission’. The term ‘children’ includes full, half, step adopted and those non blood related but resident through marriage, civil partnerships and single family co-habitation arrangements at the time of application or deadline. 

Where too few places are available to satisfy preferences, or within any of the priority order categories listed, places will be allocated on the basis of the child’s closeness to the preferred school (defined by straight line measurement using a Geographical Information based system which identifies an Easting and Northing for the home address and the school building and calculates the distance between the two locations. 

In the event that the Academy Trust is unable to distinguish between applications, despite applying the priority categories above, lots will be drawn by an independent person to determine the final place(s). If the last student to be offered a place within the school’s published admission number (PAN) is a multiple birth or same cohort sibling, any further same cohort sibling will be admitted, if the parents so wish, even though this may raise the intake number above the school’s PAN. 

The home address is considered to be the main permanent residence where the family/child spends all or the majority of their time - only one address can be used on the application form. You may be asked for evidence of your address. 

In England and Wales, if parents were married to each other at the time of the child’s birth, or have jointly adopted a child, both have parental responsibility. If parents were not married, the mother always has parental responsibility. The father has parental responsibility only if he has jointly registered the birth with the mother (since 1 December 2003), if he has a Court Order or has a Parental Responsibility agreement. The School Admissions Team may seek legal advice if there is any doubt and documentary evidence may be required. Should both parents have parental responsibility, only one application will be considered. Unless a court order rules otherwise, the application must be made by the parent who has day to day care of the child for the majority of the school days/weeks. Where this is unclear or disputed, or where care is split equally and there is no agreement between the parents, the application must be made by the parent at the address identified on the child’s registered health service General Practitioner (GP) record as at the closing date where relevant (proof may be required). If separated parents reside at the same address, they should reach agreement on the application to be submitted or obtain a Court Order, but in the absence of either of these the Local Authority will allocate a place at the nearest school with places available. 

In respect of all placements, if a place is offered on the basis of an application that then proves to be fraudulent, and this has been identified by the first October half-term following admission, the offer of the place will be automatically withdrawn.


In the event of a prospective family needing to move house at any point during the admission procedure, then it is the duty of the parents concerned to notify the School Admissions Officer in writing; the Governors’ Admission Panel will require copies of relevant documentation: 

• advising that an exchange date has been reached on a purchase and agreed with the parties concerned, or evidence of tenancy agreement, or 

• a letter from an employer (including Crown Servants) confirming details of relocation to a specific address, or 

• in the case of a family returning to a house they already own, evidence of a parent being required to return to work from distant parts, together with, for example, evidence of a tenant being given notice to quit. 


Dependent children accompanying parents entering the UK on a work visa have a right to enter the country to attend a state-funded school. However, entitlement to a state education does not necessarily confer a right to remain in the UK. In addition, any UK citizen or citizen of the European Economic Area (‘EEA’) and Switzerland is permitted to enter the country to attend a state-funded school.

Citizens of countries that are not a part of the EEA should ensure that their child’s visa entitles them to enter the country to attend a state-funded school before taking up such a school place. Schools do not have a role in checking visas: it is entirely the parents’ responsibility to check.

The following children are not entitled, by immigration law, to enter the country to attend to a state-funded school: 

• children from non-EEA countries who are here as short-term visitors - these are children who live abroad but have been admitted to the UK for a short visit (for example as tourists or to visit relatives) 

• children from non-EEA countries who have entered the country on a Tier 4 visa - these children are allowed to study in England on the basis that they attend an independent, fee-paying school listed in the register of Tier 4 licensed sponsors. 

Applications will be considered in accordance with Highcliffe School’s published admissions policy.

Details correct as at the time of ratification by the Governing Body (pending final BREXIT negotiations)


If a change to the admissions policy and/or the school’s admission arrangements is envisaged, the Governing Body of Highcliffe School will consult with the following at an early stage to ensure the policy is legal, fair and workable and will not have unintended implications for other schools. Among those consulted are: 

• Dorset, Hampshire and Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole (BCP) Local Authorities 

• Other Schools: All schools in the Christchurch area Hampshire: All primary schools that are feeder schools to Highcliffe School

    Owned by: THN | Last Published: 28/09/2021 12:52:31 | Next Update: Spring 2020